And there are treasures (and ideas) to be found. We’ve rescued many a cigar box, suitcase, or jewelry box. As a post holiday adventure, we drove out to the flea market this past weekend. These photos show a sampling of what was for sale.
A few old cameras.
A crateful of mannequin hands.
Lots and lots of bottles and jars.
The inspiration for my next piece came right out of that crate in the second photo. I don’t usually detail my project ideas up front for a variety of reasons:
· Because my vision and description often don’t do them justice.
· Because my vision and my ability to carry it out don’t always match.
· Because my description and my end result can be so diverse it often looks like I described the wrong project.
· Because my works in progress often evolve in ways that I cannot foresee when I start.
· Because sometimes I don’t always have a vision, a plan or any sanity whatsoever.
So this is what I’ve got – a hand.
I think it gives my husband the creeps just laying around on my desk or on the floor. Sometimes when he’s not watching me, I pick it up and come up behind him and rest it on his shoulder as if it’s my own. When he turns around and sees it’s not me, I get the biggest laugh. I have to do something for my own entertainment when I’m in my studio.
I think I’ll document this project and post its evolution here. Hopefully, I won’t get stuck in some lack-of-progress quagmire.