These next few posts show the evolution of the Steampunk piece I created for the science fiction gallery at the Philadelphia Show. I will begin with photos of the transformation of the outside of the piece. I began with an unfinished box similar to this one. I removed all the hardware including the latches and the hinges so that I had two separate sides of the box.
I added a texture pattern of gears which I really love doing. It immediately alters the appearance of the box.
Then I began painting it; first with a dark brown
followed by a antique gold/brass color.
A few highlights of bright gold
And then several more colors – brick/clay, patina, moss and teal.
If you recall in this post, I showed how I created this chipboard panel.
The first step was to choose a typeface for the title and cut it from poster board. I love this font.
I had to decide how to arrange the elements that would adorn its surface. This involved a lot of hemming and hawing.
Once I decided how it was going to be, I had to glue most of the various parts in place. Some had to be added later because of crevices that would be easier to paint in a separate session.
I painted the entire thing with gesso but I probably could have skipped this step
because I ended up making the base coat black.
Next I began layering the paint similarly to what I had done before with slightly different colors to contrast with already painted box exterior. It might be hard to tell, but this is a metallic brick color.
And more paint to create the illusion of metal.
Here’s the front of the box finished.
A view from the side
and the back.
Part 2 will follow next.